The Medical Imaging Department of Hadassah Medical is justifiably proud of its state-of-the-art equipment and its high-class specialists providing prompt and accurate diagnosis of diseases.
A mammogram is an X-ray test of the breast (mammary glands) for women who have no signs or symptoms of breast disease. Mammograms are done to help screen for breast cancer at its earliest, most treatable stage that cannot otherwise be detected by inspection and palpation. This is a very simple procedure that takes only a few minutes.
- Women over 50 are advised to have a mammogram performed every other year or as per recommendation from the attending physician.
- Women at above-average breast cancer risk (family history of breast cancer in a first-degree relative) are recommended to undergo diagnostic mammography in accordance with the instructions of the attending physician.
- Women of any age who notice any changes in the mammary glands are advised to consult a doctor and get a referral to mammography.
Screening for Breast Cancer Early Detection and Diagnosis
Hadassah Medical conducts examinations for the early detection of breast cancer and reviews the results immediately after completion of the checkup. If necessary, a mammogram can be done immediately. According to the recommendations of the Israeli Ministry of Health, women over 50 are strongly urged to undergo a mammography every other year, and women over 40 who are at high risk – once a year.
Form 17 (a payment voucher from the Health Care Fund) is not required for mammography. The cost of the screening – 250 shekels and there is no need for a referral.
Ultrasound scan (US) is very effective in detecting gallstones and inflammation in the gallbladder, kidney problems, tumors in the internal organs (kidneys, liver). The Department of Medical Imaging at Hadassah Medical is equipped with top of the line ultrasound imaging devices that perform both regular screenings and Doppler ultrasound, elastography, etc. A special computer program allows for an accurate comparison of the results obtained using various visualization methods.
- Invasive tests using ultrasound: liver biopsy, abdominal biopsy, neck biopsy, biopsy of soft tissue masses.
- Doppler ultrasound intended for patients who have undergone liver, kidney and pancreas transplantation.
- Doppler ultrasound imaging of the eye and orbit.
- Orthopedic ultrasound, including imaging of the musculoskeletal system and soft tissues of various joints.
Medical imaging services are available both at Hadassah Ein Karem Hospital and at Hadassah Medical in Ramat Gan.